Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Final Class

I've come to realize that most, if not all, of my blogs are very negative. This strikes me as odd because I am usually not a very negative person; some may even say that I'm very optimistic. Even though I am not a fan of journalism, I did thoroughly enjoy this class (strange, right?). I liked how we spent most of class working on "something big" like making a PB Wiki and even a crossword puzzle to go with it.

I feel like - actually I know that - this class has helped me become a better interrogator - er, I mean, interviewer. My first interviews with the firefighters in my town for the event story were TERRIBLE! I asked so many questions (this was before the 3 question rule) and overall I was very nervous. As I went on to interview more and more, my confidence level built up and I felt more professional, which in turn gave me better data for a stronger story. I also noticed that my questions became more serious as the year went on. Some of my first questions were like "So, you're a firefighter... uh, why?" Definitely an awful first experience, but thank god these interviewee's were so kind and polite.

With that, I feel like I accomplished something. Not only academically, but mentally as well. I feel that this class has helped me establish a firm base on connecting to people, one on one.

No comments: